Re: Mangled "From " header.

2003-05-03 11:50:39
At 15:53 2003-05-02 -0700, Faux_Pseudo did say:
Nothing thas been changed.

I realize you insist that you haven't changed something, but for procmail to be handling the messages differently, something has to have changed. Have you tried grabbing some of the _old_ messages which procmail had previously handled properly, and throw those at procmail? If they work, then something has changed in the format of the messages. If they don't, something has changed in your mail delivery configuration, whether you believe it to be the case or not.

Are you subscribed to some new list, perhaps delivered locally on the same mailhost?

I added both of those to the begining of my procmailrc.

Each message was copyed (2x because I added both) to backup.mbx as it
should have been.

Uh, I meant for you to run one or the other, but fine, so you're saying "as it should have been" means that the From is NOT mangled when saved? This would seem to indicate that procmail isn't mangling things as it saves them.

One of the 12 messages I had a copy of my $MAIL made it mbox with the
problem discribed.

             >From popserver Sat May  2 21:17:11 GMT 2003

And, uh, you don't see ANYTHING wrong with this line? Like, I don't know, the fact that the from address isn't a fully qualified address? Is this perhaps consistent with ALL of the messages with problems?

grep your old mail logs for this "popserver" crap and see if they're ALL mangled like this.

        egrep "^>From .*2003$"

        egrep "^From popserver"

Well they arived unmolested into there backup files.  So the problem
is procmail's and not their ariveal to /var/spool/mail/faux

ObQ: any chance you're using FETCHMAIL to retrieve mail from someplace else (versus normal SMTP transactions with your ISP mail server), and you've bodged the config in your fetchmailrc?

At this point, I'm putting my money on gremlins. They've hacked into your mail server and are randomly changing email messages to confuse you.