Re: What to do about the SPF domain name

2005-07-31 11:28:10
In <f34ca13c0507301612111c2650(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com> "Constantine A.
Murenin" <mureninc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

On 28/07/05, wayne <wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> wrote:

What do people think about either using something like openspf.info
instead of openspf.org and hope that openspf.org never falls into the
wrong hands?

What do people think about skipping the openspf domain names and going
with the second place finisher, spf-classic.org?

[...]

I think that spf-classic.org and SenderPolicy.org are the way to go,
and the results of the vote should be abandoned. Come on, it's just 34
users that have participated (including myself) -- in no way it
represents everyone who is or might be interested in SPF.

Personally, I liked spf-classic better than openspf.  However, the
resuls of the vote was 9 vs 23, so openspf clearly won[1].  Heck, I
predicted as much on #spf.

                                                          Such
decisions as this should not be made by a popular vote, but by
something that makes more sense and is going promote the community and
make things easy going.

While 34 people isn't a huge number, it is a reasonable chunk of the
people who are active on spf-discuss.  I can't think of a better way
of deciding something like this than doing the vote.  I think most
people who voted *were* taking into account the long term best
interest of SPF.

That said, I don't think that the vote permanent binds us to the
decision.  It has now been another half week and it appears that
nothing more has happened.

How much longer should we wait for James to honor his committment?

Earlier, Johnp said that we should wait until the beginning of
August.  Most other people seemed to feel that other alternatives were
acceptable.

-wayne

[1] http://www5.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/andru/civs/results?id=E_4995a148aacc26c1