Re: [dkim-ops] Q: "dkim=discardable"

2008-10-30 11:15:32
At Author Domain Signing Practices (ADSP) specification, just i'm
wondering about "dkim=discardable" rule. It seems like SPF's "fail". So
i think that's the most powerful policy to keep DKIM's philosophy than
the others. Do I understand correctly about "dkim=discardable"?

Not really.  If you use the "discardable" setting, you are telling people
that your mail is not very important, so they should discard it without
reading it if doesn't have a valid signature.  This means that if you send
mail through a mailing list, or any other path that happens to make minor
changes to messages that break the signature, people won't see it.

For example, your message to which I am responding would have a broken
signature due to the tag that the list added to the subject line.  If I
were using ADSP, I would have discarded your mail without reading it.
That is probably not what you want.

The number of domains that should use discardable is very small.  It's
really only useful for banks and places like Paypal sending out notices
about accounts, not for any domain with individual users.

dig +short _adsp._domainkey.izb.knu.ac.kr. TXT "dkim=discardable\;"

This message has a minor syntax error.  There should not be a \ character
before the semicolon.

Regards,