Re: [dkim-ops] Q: "dkim=discardable"

2008-10-30 12:05:14

-----Original Message-----
From: dkim-ops-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:dkim-ops-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of John R Levine
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:13 AM
To: Byung-Hee HWANG
Cc: dkim-ops(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [dkim-ops] Q: "dkim=discardable"

At Author Domain Signing Practices (ADSP) specification, just i'm
wondering about "dkim=discardable" rule. It seems like SPF's "fail".
So
i think that's the most powerful policy to keep DKIM's philosophy
than
the others. Do I understand correctly about "dkim=discardable"?

Not really.  If you use the "discardable" setting, you are telling
people
that your mail is not very important, so they should discard it
without
reading it if doesn't have a valid signature.

I think most of the likely candidate domains for using "discardable"
would disagree with your assertion John. It is not that the domain
owner/administrator feels their mail "is not very important". It is that
the domain owner has taken significant steps to identify that all of the
email they send is properly signed and that due to a significant risk of
abuse of their domain by phishing, malware Trojans, etc, they recommend
discarding email that does not properly validate. This is a far cry from
asserting their mail is not very important.

This means that if you send
mail through a mailing list, or any other path that happens to make
minor
changes to messages that break the signature, people won't see it.

Banks, PayPal and other organizations that are likely candidates to use
"discardable" don't "happen" to send transactional or account mail
through a public mailing list that forwards email. Next example?

For example, your message to which I am responding would have a broken
signature due to the tag that the list added to the subject line.  If
were using ADSP, I would have discarded your mail without reading it.
That is probably not what you want.

The number of domains that should use discardable is very small.  It's
really only useful for banks and places like Paypal sending out
notices
about accounts, not for any domain with individual users.

dig +short _adsp._domainkey.izb.knu.ac.kr. TXT "dkim=discardable\;"

This message has a minor syntax error.  There should not be a \
character
before the semicolon.

This is a different issue. If the person got their MX or A record wrong
they would have major issues. There has to be a presumption that an
organization (or individual) that takes certain steps is going to:

a) configure their records correctly and;
b) test and monitor what they are doing over time or;
c) accept that not doing so may lead to sub-optimal outcomes for
themselves and the people they deal with.

Mike

Regards,