Re: [dkim-ops] hammering with a soldering iron, was subdomain vs. cousin domain

2010-09-13 13:56:38
-----Original Message-----
From: dkim-ops-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:dkim-ops-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hector Santos
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 11:29 AM
To: dkim-ops(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Cc: dkim-ops(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [dkim-ops] hammering with a soldering iron, was subdomain
vs. cousin domain

If anything Murray, traceability - verifiers and assessors would know
who is the responsible signer and it isn't the principle author domain.

Has that been shown yet to be important at receivers?  Are there any current
implementations with data to show that this is a useful thing to track?

I'm happy to believe that it is important, but so far all I've seen is a lot of
argument over theory and not much real data.

In the advent of this anticipated new reputation scoring market, it
would be the primary domain at risk - not the passive 3PS service.
The 3PS domain is protected from harm while collecting the bucks. :)

Is that theory, or is that data?

But the more we
deemphasize policy, the more pressure we have to keep broken
signatures for "reputation" or heuristic assessors and worst, design
pressures to consider the even more drastic changing the 5322.From to
match the last signer in the mail path either because of ADSP or to
provide the "positive appearance of 1st party mail."

I don't think the goal is to de-emphasize policy.  I suspect lots of us would
like to see that capability.  But the systems we're using today have
limitations and entrenched history we can't simply ignore for the sake of
convenience.  Moreover, it would be completely silly to roll out a standards
track policy specification before there's experimental data to back up the
notion that it will work.

In essence we're practically busting at the seams to deliver information to
verifiers when we don't know if that information is even a little bit
interesting to them.