AUTH and "<"? (was Re: 5.6.5)

2001-02-14 19:05:31
According to Eric S. Raymond:
* Full support for POP3 AUTH (RFC1734) with KERBEROS_IV, GSSAPI, OTP.

I think this needs a tweak or two.  As is, it tries a plain "AUTH"
command if the server's greeting included a "<" character.  But that
connection I can't find anywhere in the relevant RFCs.  As it happens,
the POP3 servers I use don't support the AUTH command, and the error

I should think that it would be good _always_ to _try_ "AUTH", but any
resulting errors should be accepted silently.
--
Chip Salzenberg            - a.k.a. -            <chip(_at_)valinux(_dot_)com>
   "Give me immortality, or give me death!"  // Firesign Theatre