Re: help with fetchmail PLEASE....

2001-02-27 09:49:58
root wrote:
but when i try to read my message, by issuing the command fetchmail -v
(logs below), the program stay
locked at the reading step, without modem activity (really no activity
since my pppd daemon inetrrupt the
connection after the idle time!)

From the log you give, it looks like maybe there's a problem with your
local smtp listener (e.g. sendmail).  Try "telnet localhost 25" and
see if you get anything.  (If do get something beyond the usual telnet
stuff about ^], then things are good and you type quit to get out.)

The problem is partially solved if i specify an mda (like mda 'procmail'
or mda 'sendmail user' ) but then all
the mails are directed into a single file that is /var/spool/mail/root
!! Moreover the header lines of the mails
seems to be to confusing for my mail reader (mail, xmail, netscape...)
and the reader is not able to distinguish
between the different mail included into the /var/spool/mail/root file

I can see that happening with procmail (it doesn't add the "From "
message separator line by default), but it shouldn't happen with
sendmail.  Try it as "procmail -d user".

Specifying the host by smpthost option line do nothing on that problem

If you use the mda option then smtphost is ignored.

Is it  problem with my mail delivery agent or my configuration
(especially SMTP problems??)

Most likely SMTP configuration problems, since there's no SMTP in your log.

(BTW, I don't think upgrading would solve this problem, but I could be
wrong.)
--
==============================|   "A microscope locked in on one point
 Rob Funk <rfunk(_at_)funknet(_dot_)net> |Never sees what kind of room that