Re: testing fetchmail question

2001-02-27 09:01:31
On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
tompoe <tompoe(_at_)source(_dot_)net>:
Hello:  The following occurs and I would like to confirm with the experts:
fetchmail: 5.4.0 querying mail.source.net (protocol IMAP) at Mon, 26 Feb
2001 11:09:19 -0800 (PST)
fetchmail: IMAP< +OK QPOP (version 3.0) at nexus6.source.net starting.
fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: IMAP< -ERR Unknown command: "a0001".
fetchmail: IMAP< -ERR POP timeout
fetchmail: IMAP< +OK Pop server at nexus6.source.net signing off.
fetchmail: Unknown login or authentication error on
tompoe(_at_)mail(_dot_)source(_dot_)net
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from mail.source.net
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2
Done.

My take on this, is that all is well, except the socket thing.  I
double-checked to make sure I entered username and password, correctly.
Anyone
seen this before?  A really green linux baby, Tom

That's kind of entertaining.  You told fetchmail to speak IMAP to a POP3
server.

I suppose it was inevitable this would happen someday... :-)
--

The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion.  I could never
give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.

Hi, Eric:  Made your day, eh?  And worse, I ran the probe, which congratulated
me on connecting an IMAP server!  And, promptly continued to configure POP3.
Well, in my defense, I had this kmail thing, which reports POP and port 25 as
the setup.  When I click, it gets the mail.  So, who's to know?  Anyway, I
shall continue on, and hope I don't "make your day" with similar faux pas.  Tom