help with fetchmail PLEASE....

2001-02-26 13:21:03
Hello,

I've consulted the archives of question as well as the FAQ and i've not
found how to solve my problem, here
is it:
I'm running on a pentium 266, with 32 MB Ram, 32 MB swap, 21 G HDD, with
an olitec speedcom 2000
modem
I'm using mandrake 6.1 package, with an upgrade to the kernel 2.2.16
(but the problem exist also before the
kernel upgrade)
The problem i've is the following, fetchmail seems work well as the
fetchmail -v and fetchmail -V output can
confirm :

but when i try to read my message, by issuing the command fetchmail -v
(logs below), the program stay
locked at the reading step, without modem activity (really no activity
since my pppd daemon inetrrupt the
connection after the idle time!)
The problem is partially solved if i specify an mda (like mda 'procmail'
or mda 'sendmail user' ) but then all
the mails are directed into a single file that is /var/spool/mail/root
!! Moreover the header lines of the mails
seems to be to confusing for my mail reader (mail, xmail, netscape...)
and the reader is not able to distinguish
between the different mail included into the /var/spool/mail/root file
Specifying the host by smpthost option line do nothing on that problem

So i'm quiet confused
Can anybody ahelp me???
Is it  problem with my mail delivery agent or my configuration
(especially SMTP problems??)

THANKS
Joel Collet
Joel(_dot_)collet(_at_)free(_dot_)fr

-----------------
fetchmail -v out:
fetchmail: 5.3.8 querying pop.free.fr (protocol POP3) at Sat, 24 Feb
2001 14:43:
42 +0100 (CET)
fetchmail: POP3< +OK <20493(_dot_)983022431(_at_)pop2-2(_dot_)free(_dot_)fr>
fetchmail: POP3> USER xyz
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 15 95818
15 messages for xyz at pop.free.fr (95818 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: POP3< 1 2088
fetchmail: POP3< 2 4526
fetchmail: POP3< 3 2970
fetchmail: POP3< 4 2354
fetchmail: POP3< 5 1969
fetchmail: POP3< 6 3005
fetchmail: POP3< 7 2479
fetchmail: POP3< 8 2040
fetchmail: POP3< 9 20172
fetchmail: POP3< 10 2061
fetchmail: POP3< 11 42693
fetchmail: POP3< 12 2160
fetchmail: POP3< 13 2380
fetchmail: POP3< 14 2143
fetchmail: POP3< 15 2778
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2088 octets
reading message 1 of 15 (2088 octets)

---------------------
fechmail -V give this:

This is fetchmail release 5.3.8+NLS
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.16-9mdk #1 Thu Jun 22 17:04:01 PDT 2000
i686 unknown
Taking options from command line and /root/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /root/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to postmaster.
Options for retrieving from xyz(_at_)pop(_dot_)free(_dot_)fr:
  True name of server is pop.free.fr.
  Protocol is POP3.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  All messages will be retrieved (--all on).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush
off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits
off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Idle after poll is disabled (idle off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501 554
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.