Re: [fetchmail]Cannot build fetchmail 5.7.2 (aclocal: command not found)

2001-03-11 02:15:47
On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Scott Gifford wrote:
hmh(_at_)debian(_dot_)org writes:
Maybe it should be added to the FAQ that proper (i.e. complete, and
up-to-date) installations of GNU autoconf and GNU automake are REQUIRED to
build fetchmail properly?

That would be unfortunate.  On commercial Unices (at least Solaris),
these tools are not commonly installed; it would be a fairly large
irritant to have to install a series of fairly complex build tools
before you can install fetchmail.  It would also mean that platforms
on which autoconf is not supported could not support fetchmail.

I suppose the makefiles could be changed to avoid the aclocal call if
aclocal is not installed in the system.  Actually, autoconf is supposed to
do this out-of-the box I think...  I'll look at it, and send a patch to this
list if I manage to fix the problem [properly].

scripts that could run standalone.  What makes fetchmail so much more
complex than these other packages?

It isn't, really. The autoconf stuff just needs some cleanup.

  Henrique Holschuh