Re: [fetchmail]Cannot build fetchmail 5.7.2 (aclocal: command not found)

2001-03-10 23:45:27
hmh(_at_)debian(_dot_)org writes:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, R.O. Blättner wrote:
cd . && aclocal
/bin/sh: aclocal: command not found
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 127

Maybe it should be added to the FAQ that proper (i.e. complete, and
up-to-date) installations of GNU autoconf and GNU automake are REQUIRED to
build fetchmail properly?

That would be unfortunate.  On commercial Unices (at least Solaris),
these tools are not commonly installed; it would be a fairly large
irritant to have to install a series of fairly complex build tools
before you can install fetchmail.  It would also mean that platforms
on which autoconf is not supported could not support fetchmail.

I have only been half-following this discussion, but I've never
compiled a package before that required me to have authconf on my
system; I thought the entire point of autoconf was to build shell
scripts that could run standalone.  What makes fetchmail so much more
complex than these other packages?

------ScottG.