RE: [fetchmail]fetchmail w/o sendmail?

2001-03-16 09:15:07
I've been preparing for this (I thought) by figuring
out how to use fetchmail to grab my mail automatically
from one of our central pop servers. Now that I know a
little bit more about fetchmail, I'm concerned that
fetchmail won't work at all with sendmail disabled.

Hmm, if you specify --mda /usr/bin/procmail, shouldn't this work?  Why can't
you use procmail?

I asked the question about mda a month ago but no one answered.
So I am reposting it:

In my .fetchmailrc I have:
user nerijus with pass passwd is nerijus here mda maildrop

maildrop (http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/) is mda
which supports mbox-style mailboxes and maildirs.
I get my mail delivered by maildrop directly, bypassing
smtp server. Everything is working fine, but today fetchmail
was downloading a bigger message (800 K) and I got:

$ fetchmail
1 message for nerijus at pop.takas.lt (802587 octets).
reading message 1 of 1 (802587 octets) ...................
.......maildrop: Timeout quota exceeded.
...fetchmail: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from pop.takas.lt
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

I asked at maildrop mailing list and there's what I got:

maildrop unconditionally terminates if it fails to complete delivery
within 5 minutes.

Does it mean I cannot use maildrop as mda with fetchmail?
If there is a big message, fetchmail might download it even
only in an hour.

If fetchmail immediately runs maildrop, before it finishes downloading the
entire message, then certainly you'll have a problem.

Is it possible for fetchmail not to run mda immediately?

Regards,
Nerijus