Re: [fetchmail]exit on "couldn't find canonical DNS name"

2001-03-17 23:36:11
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, at 23:18 (GMT -0500), Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Frantisek Brabec <frb_97(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>:
Let's assume my .fetchmailrc file contains several
different servers to be polled. If any one of them
doesn't resolve (e.g., a typo in the name), it causes
fetchmail to exit and none of the servers gets polled.
Is it really necessary? Could we just skip the
troubled server and process all the others after all?

Bad idea.  The entry could stay invisibly broken forever.

Actually it doesn't seem a good idea. What if fetchmail skiped the entry
with problems and showed on the screen that it skiped it, maybe say why it
was skiped...

--

    If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                     ..., Oh wait, he already does.