Re: [fetchmail]exit on "couldn't find canonical DNS name"

2001-03-22 14:19:53
Frantisek Brabec <frb_97(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>:
Another reason for my suggestion is the following. It
seems that for large enough number of different
servers in the fetchmailrc file, it so happens that
one or more of them do not get resolved time to time
even for perfectly valid names. Probably some
temporary issues with the name server.  I would find
it beneficial if the ones that get resolved also got
processed. As you see, the unresolved servers are due
to a temporary problem outside (at ISP or so) and thus
there is no need to shut everything down to avoid
'forever invisibly broken entries'.

Still a bad idea.  Such unresolved hosts would never be queried for the
rest of the fetchmail daemon's lifetime -- you'd invisibly fail to get
mail that was waiting for you.

Errors should be made obvious so they can be fixed oor worked around.
--

According to the National Crime Survey administered by the Bureau of
the Census and the National Institute of Justice, it was found that