[fetchmail]Problem with fetchmail getting mail via POP3 and delivering via SMTP

2001-06-19 14:29:59
Hi
I have a problem occasionally where I get an email delivered via pop3 which
is rejected by my smtp server with an error 550 (due to an invalid return
address). fetchmail is still deleting this message from the pop3 server and
so the email is lost. Any ideas how I can fix this. I'd prefer if fetchmail
left the email on the pop3 server (I believe it should be doing this as
according to the FAQ it should only issue a DELE command on successful
delivery via SMTP or after an error code 571 from the SMTP server.
Here's a typical log from fetchmail of when this happens:

fetchmail: POP3> RETR 3
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1917 octets
reading message 3 of 5 (1917 octets)
[re-write messages snipped]
fetchmail: forwarding to localhost
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<xxx(_at_)yyy>
SIZE=1917
fetchmail: SMTP< 550-5.1.8 reject sender
'xxx(_at_)yyy'.
fetchmail: SMTP< 550 5.1.8 Sender address target domain
'yyy' is not valid.
fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.3.0 Reset state
fetchmail: Saved error is still 550
fetchmail: message 3 was not the expected length (1957 actual != 1917
expected)
 flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 3
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 4

So, any ideas? Is it something wrong with my smtp setup? (I'm using smail).

Thanks in advance,
Neil.
--
Neil Milne