Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail doc or verbose-mode bug?

2001-08-07 23:08:36
Daniel Barrett <dbarrett(_at_)blazemonger(_dot_)com>:

The man page for fetchmail 5.5.0 says:

      -v, --verbose
             Verbose mode.  All control messages passed  between
             fetchmail  and the mailserver are echoed to stderr.
             Overrides --silent.  Doubling this option  (-v  -v)
             causes  extra diagnostic information to be printed.

However, when I run:

      $ fetchmail -v -f myconfig > fetch.out

where myconfig says:

      poll myhost.com with proto POP3:
        user 'xxx' there is yyy here;
        fetchall;
        no keep;

most of the diagnostic output is written to stdout rather than stderr.
Perhaps this should also be stated in the man page.

In addition, as each message is downloaded, a lonely "#" character is
printed on stderr, so it does not get redirected in the above example.  It
would be nice if this character could be enabled/disabled separately.  (Of
course I could redirect stderr to /dev/null but then I wouldn't see other
important messages on the screen.)  Just a thought.

I've corrected the man page and the code.  Everything is going to stdout
and is documented to do so.
--

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable."