Re: [fetchmail]Cygwin fetchmail corrupts multi-part messages under Win2K

2001-08-12 14:58:07
Jason Tishler <jason(_at_)tishler(_dot_)net>:
I am using fetchmail/procmail/mutt to retrieve, process, and read my email
under Cygwin (www.cygwin.com).  I recently changed from using a Windows NT
4.0 SP5 to a Windows 2000 SP1 machine.  Shortly thereafter, I started to
notice that some of the multi-part emails that I received were corrupted.

If interested in more details please see the following Cygwin mailing
list thread that begins with:

The bottom line is that I'm quite willing and very motived to debug this
problem (which may be in Cygwin) myself.  I'm just hoping that someone
more intimate with the fetchmail code would be willing to point me in
the right direction.

I am using POP3 to access my mailbox and the messages are sinked into
procmail.  I believe that the problem is either happening during the
reading of the message into memory (or temp file) or the writing of
it down the procmail pipe.  Any pointers to the appropriate fetchmail
routines would be greatly appreciated.

You say you're seeing message body corruption?  If so, that almost rules
out problems on the input side -- the message body is essentially processed
line by line.  See transact.c:readbody().

The output side is in sink.c.  Look at stuffline().

I read the thread.  I strongly suspect this corruption is happening
below fetchmail's level.  My best guess is a bug in the Cygwin C library
or networking code relating to libe-terminator translation.
--

Everything you know is wrong.  But some of it is a useful first approximation.