RE: [fetchmail][Fwd: I'm a little confused by the fetchmail docs and if it could be used for my pblm]

2001-08-12 03:51:37
Fetchmail may do exactly what you want. It is called "multidrop" mode.

However, for multidrop to work properly, fetchmail needs to be able to recreate
all the information it needs to deliver a message
from the headers - which is not necessarily possible in all cases. The reason
is that SMTP messages have 3 components; the envelope,
the headers and the body. POP3 messages only have the headers and the body - by
the time mail arrives in a POP3 mailbox, it is
supposed to have been already sorted so the envelope information is no longer
required. This can be important in the case of mailing
lists or BCC recipients, since the recipient won't always appear in the headers.

If the POP3 server accurately makes the envelope data available, then fetchmail
can (usually) read this information. Many ISPs will
add suitable information, and if you look through the FAQ, you will see
examples of working multidrop configurations for a number of
systems. However, I can't give you all the information because I don't know
anything about Speakeasy's POP3 servers...

--
Bill Michell
bill(_at_)mics(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk (Home)