Re: [fetchmail]FeatureRequest: log if fetchmail run is done

2001-08-30 05:31:10
On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 08:23:08AM -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:
Thomas Guettler <guettli(_at_)thomas-guettler(_dot_)de> writes:

Here is a feature request:

It would be good, if fetchmail would log if one fetchmail run is
done. Background: I am writing a script which goes offline as soon as
all mail was sent an recieved. Up to now I have a not existing pop
server in the last line of fetchmailrc. So I know when fetchmail has
recieved all mail, but that's not nice.

If some one is interessted, it is at
http://www.thomas-guettler.de/scripts (pon4mail.sh). But it is Debian
specific.

Please CC to me, I am not on this list.

Thomas,

Could you explain it better? I think didn't get it (maybe because I'm
not a native speaker...).

You're trying to know when fetchmail has finished it's work? Is it?
With fetchmail + postfix I can just look at /var/log/maillog and look
after

Aug 30 08:21:08 dagon postfix/smtpd[4087]: disconnect from
localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]

I prefer looking into /var/log/fetchmail. Up to now my log would look
like this:

fetchmail: 5.3.3 querying iaix5.informatik.htw-dresden.de (protocol ...
(1)
fetchmail: terminated with signal 15
fetchmail: starting fetchmail 5.3.3 daemon
fetchmail: 5.3.3 querying iaix5.informatik.htw-dresden.de (protocol ...

(1) After quering the last server (iaix5...) fetchmail starts
sleeping. Here it would be nice to have something like "fetchmail:
start to sleep ...". Because my script pon4mail.sh checks the log
every second and goes offline as soon as all servers were queried.

Up to now I do this be adding an not existing mailserver to the
fetchmailrc. As soon as pon4mail.sh sees the server name at the last
line of /var/log/fetchmail it goes offline. This works but is ugly.

If fetchmail would tell me before starting to sleep I would know when
all servers are queried and go offline.

I hope you know what I mean now.

I think this means adding one line to fetchmail sources.

--
Open Source Software Solutions
Thomas Guettler <thomas(_at_)thomas-guettler(_dot_)de>