Re: [fetchmail]FeatureRequest: log if fetchmail run is done

2001-08-30 06:24:18
Thomas Guettler <guettli(_at_)thomas-guettler(_dot_)de> writes:

I prefer looking into /var/log/fetchmail. Up to now my log would look
like this:

<snip/>

(1) After quering the last server (iaix5...) fetchmail starts
sleeping. Here it would be nice to have something like "fetchmail:
start to sleep ...". Because my script pon4mail.sh checks the log
every second and goes offline as soon as all servers were queried.

Indeed. As it does when you have verbose output on console...

Up to now I do this be adding an not existing mailserver to the
fetchmailrc. As soon as pon4mail.sh sees the server name at the last
line of /var/log/fetchmail it goes offline. This works but is ugly.

If fetchmail would tell me before starting to sleep I would know when
all servers are queried and go offline.

By "going online" and "going offline" you mean connecting and
disconnecting from your ISP? Are you trying to implement some basic
"dial on demand" control?

You would make your script count the time when the connection is down
and dial again, so that fetchmail can pull your messages?

You may also try looking at:

       preconnect               Command to be executed before each
                                connection
       postconnect              Command  to be executed after each
                                connection

To try sending some message to the log file (or even running
something) that your script will be able to get.

I hope you know what I mean now.

I wasn't being ironic. Just trying to say that I might have lost
something :-) I see that I understood what you meant and that the
alternative I pointed out isn't good for you.

I think this means adding one line to fetchmail sources.

Dunno. :-) Maybe it's already there and we don't know how to activate
it. :-)

--
Godoy. <godoy(_at_)conectiva(_dot_)com>

Solutions Developer       - Conectiva Inc. - http://en.conectiva.com