Re: [fetchmail]2001-08-21 / pop3+ssl after imap / fails in daemon but not in foreground mode

2001-09-22 20:31:46
On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 07:23:16PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Jochen_Hayek(_at_)ACM(_dot_)org <Jochen_Hayek(_at_)ACM(_dot_)org>:
What's the difference?
Why does the problem arise just (?!) only in (undetached) daemon mode?

This is extremely mysterious -- because the *only* difference between
detached and undetached daemon mode is that in the former fetchmail is
running in background.  I have no idea how this could screw up the SSL
library.

        Just to add to the confusion...  I run imap+ssl in both
foreground and daemon mode with no problems.  Been doing it for
a couple of years now.

        I just switch to pop3 to double check this (and discovered that
my pop3 deamon wasn't working on my server and hadn't been working and
just got THAT fixed) and pop3+ssl is working fine for me in both
foreground and daemon mode, as well.

        I don't seem to have the original message in this thread.
Eric?  Can you or Jochen send me some more details and I'll try
and run this down?  How, exactly, is this breaking?  Can I get
a copy of the configuration and command line (minus passwords, if
any, of course).

        Also, what version of fetchmail and what version of OpenSSL are
on the system and what is the platform / distribution?

--

(Those) who are trying to read the Second Amendment out of the Constitution by
claiming it's not an individual right (are) courting disaster by encouraging

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw(_at_)WittsEnd(_dot_)com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/