Re: [fetchmail]Should fetchmail default to delivering through procmail?

2001-09-30 14:55:23
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, ESR wrote:
The two things that seem to slow fetchmail down are (1) the overhead of DNS
queries done to check addresses, and (b) the lockstep logic in the POP3 and
IMAP drivers.

The easiest and most effective thing I could do to address the speed problem
would be to eliminate DNS lookups from the normal mail processing loop.  And
the most effective way to accomplish this would be to default to delivering
with procmail rather than sendmail -- no more DNS round trip on each message
as the listener chewcks the address given in the HELO line.

Debian will not follow that default. It would produce an unacceptable
dependency on procmail.  I'd have 200 people on my doorstep claiming for my
liver if I added such a dependency (I use procmail myself, btw).

not delete the current message).  Also, I have realized that sendmail's
mail alias expansion isn't needed in single-drop mode.

Are DNS lookups needed at all in single-drop mode? Are there any MTAs
braidamaged enough to refuse mail from localhost due to DNS issues (and if
there are any, do we care) ?

I'm thinking of changing the logic now so that in single-drop mode
fetchmail always delivers through procmail, if procmail can be found.

As long as forcing the fallback transport to sendmail or none disables this,
I have no problem with it (since Debian ships fetchmail's fallback set to
sendmail).

  Henrique Holschuh