Re: [fetchmail]Should fetchmail default to delivering through procmail?

2001-09-30 15:44:39
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, ESR wrote:
the most effective way to accomplish this would be to default to delivering
with procmail rather than sendmail -- no more DNS round trip on each
message
[...]
Debian will not follow that default. It would produce an unacceptable
dependency on procmail.  I'd have 200 people on my doorstep claiming for my
liver if I added such a dependency (I use procmail myself, btw).

I just found something worse. I was reviewing the story of Debian bug
#95659, and that sig_dfl handler that has a bad tie to pclose
and caused a lot of grief when we removed it, just to make sure the new
small change to the signal code was not dangerous.

Well, fetchmail still has a (serious) resource starvation problem when
delivering to a MDA and using plugins/plugouts, hasn't it?  I would
recommend against setting MDA deliveries as the default until that issue is
fixed.

  Henrique Holschuh