[fetchmail]RE: Should fetchmail default to delivering through procmail?

2001-09-30 21:26:23
Eric,

In my experience the local MDA is negligible.  I use "cat", and even on
a fast link fetchmail still scrolls slowly past on the screen fetching
one message at a time.  Maybe there's nothing that can be done because
of the IMAP protocol, but it seems like at awfully slow way to get
email.

Try this:  use cat as your MDA, and measure the amount of time it takes
to download a small inbox, say 500 messages and about 1MB total.  Then
compare that to the theoretical bandwidth of the link.  OR maybe
download the same inbox using rsync for comparison.

Since you're using cat, it will all be IMAP/fetchmail.  This will give
you some measure of the efficiency of IMAP fetchmail.

Maybe there's nothing that can be done because of the IMAP protocol, but
it sure seems like a darn slow way to get mail.

Larry (whose favorite way to get mail is still rsync)

Larry M. Augustin, CEO, VA Linux
Tel: +1.510.687.7029      Fax: +1.510.683.8680
Web: http://www.valinux.com