Re: [fetchmail]Should fetchmail default to delivering through procmail?

2001-10-01 05:41:19
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh(_at_)debian(_dot_)org> writes:

Are DNS lookups needed at all in single-drop mode? Are there any MTAs
braidamaged enough to refuse mail from localhost due to DNS issues (and if
there are any, do we care) ?

Having DNS lookups is useful for rejecting messages with unexistent
domains --- usually SPAM. I use this feature here. It checks the
Sender: address.

Wouldn't that be done better by the MTA? Still, I did not ask whether they
were useful; I asked if they are required... so that it can be made optional
in fetchmail.

I was answering the second question: "are there any MTAs braindamaged
enough to refuse mail from localhost due to DNS issues?". I told that
having DNS checking at the MTA is good for checking that. :-)

I think that fetchmail should never check anything. It should just
feed the address to the MTA/MDA and let it take care of anything
needed to deliver it.

BTW, what happens with the 'postmaster' option if one specifies an
address that isn't local and uses procmail? If procmail is the default
MDA, then one doesn't need to have postfix, exim, sendmail, [choose
your favorite MTA] installed. These messages would be lost?

--
Godoy. <godoy(_at_)conectiva(_dot_)com>

Solutions Developer       - Conectiva Inc. - http://en.conectiva.com
Desenvolvedor de Soluções - Conectiva S.A. - http://www.conectiva.com.br