[fetchmail]SOCKET error with POP3, IMAP works

2001-10-16 08:45:20
I am trying to use fetchmail 5.7.4 on a Linux 2.4.10 kernel with
iptables-based firewall and IP-masquerade.  Kmail can do its own fetch from
my external POP3 server with no trouble, but fetchmail gets the error

        "Query status=2 (SOCKET)"

How do I find out more about what problem it is getting into?  DNS lookup,
what?  Ping to the same server works, and Kmail can fetch from it.

The firewall is set up to drop all inbound packets not part of an already
existing connection (basically prevents inbound connects).  The IPmasquerade
allows my local MacOS box to share the high speed modem in the Linux box and
just maps my local 198.168 network to whatever my ISP has assigned as a
dynamic IP address.

When connected to a different external service, fetchmail can get mail from
an IMAP server with no difficulty.  The problem is with POP3.