Re: [fetchmail]why aren't all pop3 features implemented in fetchmail?

2001-10-18 05:53:36
Steven A. DuChene <sduchene(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com>:
Have been using fetchmail for years in various forms (from 5.5.1+SSL to
5.8.14+SSL+NLS)
and I got to wondering why fetchmail wouldn't let me do some additional
things that are
part of the pop3 protocal. For instance:

LIST - lists out the mail available on the server with file sizes.
DELE n - deletes message number n on the server.
RETR n - retreves message n from the pop3 server.
TOP n m - privides a peek at the top m lines of message n

I see in the design docs there is a part detailing how to add an option but
it seems like
notes for how to add an option to the fetchmailrc file rather than to create
a new command
line option. Any hints on where to start to do that?

It sounds like you want an interactive POP client, not fetchmail.
Fetchmail uses all these commands, but only for its single function of
periodically fetching your mail and feeding it to your local mail system.
--

Never trust a man who praises compassion while pointing a gun at you.