[fetchmail]persistent IMAP connections?

2001-10-18 07:27:50
Is it possible to have fetchmail open the IMAP connection, and just
wait for new mail to arrive, rather than polling all day long?  I
found a patch (from a while back) that looked like it implemented
async/persistent connections for fetchmail:

http://www.rrw-net.co.uk/semiramis-org-uk/rrw/software/misc/fetchmail/fetchmail-patch-240999

but I'm pretty sure this didn't make it in.

If it's not possible to do with fetchmail, does anyone have any
recommendations for something to replace it?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a (fairly) expensive connection
setup phase involving multiple ssh connections which I'd like to
avoid.

Thanks,
--
Josh Huber