[fetchmail]Fetchmail 5.9.4 core dumps on OpenBSD

2001-10-19 22:45:33
Hi all,

I have attempted to use fetchmail-5.9.4 on OpenBSD 2.7 & 2.9 on the i386
platform and have encountered the situation whereby fetchmail core dumps
just after reading the .fetchids file. The compilers are gcc and are
versions 2.95.2 19991024 and 2.95.3 20010125 respectivly and was built
with make and gmake.

All that is required to reproduce the problem is to have an entry in the
fetchmailrc file with a server that is skipped, uses uidl and starting
fetchmail without specifiying the server listed in the configuration file
that is skipped.

I have supplied the .fetchmailrc file which I used to test with. Prior to
testing I deleted the /root/.fetchids file. I have also included the
output from ktrace/kdump on the fetchmail process for the following
command executions:

Trace 1:

        fetchmail -v -f /root/.fetchmailrc

Trace 2:

        fetchmail -v -f /root/.fetchmailrc localhost

Trace 3:

        fetchmail -v -f /root/.fetchmailrc localhost

Trace 4:

        fetchmail -v -f /root/.fetchmailrc

I have built fetchmail both as a port (without patches as it appears
they have already been incorporated) and also manually from the fetchmail
source archive with the same result.

Examining the fourth trace file will reveal that fetchmail SIGSEGV's right
after reading the /root/.fetchids file.

I have run gdb with the fetchmail binary (without any arguments) built
manually from the source and this is the output from the backtrace after
the SIGSEGV:

        (gdb) bt
        #0  0x4009547f in strcasecmp ()
        #1  0x23270 in initialize_saved_lists ()
        #2  0x10ba0 in load_params ()
        #3  0xe4f4 in main ()
        (gdb)

Can anyone offer a suitable solution to the problem. I don't think it's an
OpenBSD issue as fetchmail-5.3.8 builds and works correctly with this type
of configuration. I haven't tried 5.3.17 as I after after the fixes in
5.9.0 and up.

Cheers,

Larry Moore.