Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail appends newlines (^M's) to all message lines

2002-02-06 12:49:21
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> writes:

Eric D. Hendrickson <edh(_at_)mr(_dot_)net>:
I am using fetchmail 5.9.6 (and before that, 5.9.5) and three times
(twice with 5.9.5 and once now with 5.9.6) I have experienced
fetchmail suddenly start appending
's (^M's, newlines) to each line
of my incoming messages.  It took me a while to confirm that it wasn't
something I did to my .procmailrc, etc, and verify that fetchmail is
the culprit.  I backed out to a 5.7 version of fetchmail and the
problem stopped.

Wow.  It sounds like something is randomly switching on forcecr at
runtime. But I can't even imagine what could produce behavior like that;
forcecr is set only once, at the time .fetchmailrc is read.

I have a theory that it is something in the content of a message (I
assume the header but maybe the body), which originated from an MTA
other than sendmail.  I can't confirm this yet however.

Are you sure it's not your MTA doing this?

Yes, I'm sure...

Is the problem reproducible within a reasonable time?  If so, we might
be able to narrow down to the location of the bug by doing a binary
search on versions.  You might start by testing to see if 5.8.5 shows
this problem.

OK, I'll try to narrow down the version where the problem first
appeared, starting with 5.8.5.

Eric