Re: [fetchmail]Missed Messages

2002-03-13 00:05:22
From: "Brian Foddy" <bfoddy(_at_)visi(_dot_)com>

Due to a recently misconfigured hosts.allow/deny, my localhost
sendmail was unavailable to fetch mail.  A fetchmail -v included
the statement of:

fetchmail: SMTP< 550 5.0.0 Access denied"

User error, I'll admit that.  But fetchmail still deleted all the mail off
the remote IMAPS server and doesn't have appeared to have
stored it anywhere I can find.  Effectively deleting all my
mail during this time period.

Is this a bug?  Is this known gotcha?  The only mention I saw in the
FAQ was to make sure sendmail is working, no mention that it
would dispose of messages if it wasn't.

This was answered recently. Fetchmail reads 550 as a "spam" response. A quick search of this list archive, the man page and the source should enlighten.

   Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
       me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.
--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: