[fetchmail]fetchmail hangs !!

2002-05-01 21:22:05
Hi
i am usinng fetchmail-5.3.1-1 on redhat 6.2 box for fetching mails.I am
facing a strange problem.
I fetch my mails from my ISP mail server. and when my link is up, it fetches
very fine.
But some time in b/w fetching if my link goes down , then it stop fetching
 ...cool ) , and after 5 minutes it says timeout after 300 sec ( that is
also cool,,,) .But after that it get hunged .
It should kill fetchmail process after timeout, but it doesn't happen. It
goes into hang mode , and then i have to manually kill that process, and
start my fetchmail again...
To run fetchmail i have done croning, which start fetchmail after every 30
minutes. and now if it is going into hang mode, it will never start
fetchmail after next 30 minutes.
How can i resolve this problem

Below is my fetchmail  -V o/p

This is fetchmail release 5.3.1+IMAP-GSS
Linux IDCDevelopment 2.2.14-12 #1 Wed Feb 13 20:03:18 EST 2002 i686 unknown
Taking options from command line and /root/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /root/.fetchids
Progress messages will be logged via syslog
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to postmaster.
Options for retrieving from hecl-khanna(_at_)221(_dot_)171(_dot_)85(_dot_)12:
  True name of server is 221.171.85.12.
  Protocol is POP3.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will be flushed before message retrieval (--flush on).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501 554
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.
Options for retrieving from hecl-rahul(_at_)221(_dot_)171(_dot_)85(_dot_)12:
  True name of server is 221.171.85.12.
  Protocol is POP3.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will be flushed before message retrieval (--flush on).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501 554
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.

I have got nearly 300 users like above in my .fetchmailrc file.
How can i resolve this problem ? if my connectivity is down , it should kill
the process after some specified time ..
pl help me !!

Regards

Lokesh Khanna
Engineer- IDC (Network Integration)