Re: [fetchmail]Trouble getting mail from <MAILER-DAEMON>

2002-05-21 03:30:35
Scott Gifford <sgifford(_at_)suspectclass(_dot_)com> writes:

My .fetchmailrc looks like this:

    poll 216.12.213.139 protocol pop3
      no dns,
      no envelope,
      user sgifford there is swgsh here
      fetchall

It seems that fetchmail is rewriting the unqualified MAILER-DAEMON
envelope sender to MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)216(_dot_)12(_dot_)213(_dot_)139(_dot_)
 Since that's not the
correct syntax for saying a user is at an IP address (the address
should be in square-brackets), my local mail server assumes that this
is a domain name, tries to look it up, fails, and rejects the message.

I tried chaning my .fetchmailrc to:

    poll [216.12.213.139] protocol pop3

but that doesn't work, either.  I also tried using the "-n" flag, and
that didn't make a difference.

You don't state your fetchmail version. Try 5.9.11.

If that does not help, try:
poll actual.host.name via 216.12.213.139

If that does not get you where you want, try adding these lines to the
bottom of your .fetchmailrc:

# try to force fetchmail to canonicalize its bounce sender host name
skip some.host with proto ETRN no dns

That worked when an old installation I looked after sent bounces with a
bogus sender domain.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this, apart from rewriting my
.fetchmailrc to use a domain name?  My hosting provider's DNS is a
little flakey these last few days, and I'd like to use the IP address
until things get a bit more stable.

Try dnscache, http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html, that's solid.