Re: [fetchmail]Trouble getting mail from <MAILER-DAEMON>

2002-05-21 04:05:38
Matthias Andree <ma(_at_)dt(_dot_)e-technik(_dot_)uni-dortmund(_dot_)de> writes:

Scott Gifford <sgifford(_at_)suspectclass(_dot_)com> writes:

My .fetchmailrc looks like this:

    poll 216.12.213.139 protocol pop3
      no dns,
      no envelope,
      user sgifford there is swgsh here
      fetchall

It seems that fetchmail is rewriting the unqualified MAILER-DAEMON
envelope sender to
MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)216(_dot_)12(_dot_)213(_dot_)139(_dot_)  Since that's
not the
correct syntax for saying a user is at an IP address (the address
should be in square-brackets), my local mail server assumes that this
is a domain name, tries to look it up, fails, and rejects the message.

I tried chaning my .fetchmailrc to:

    poll [216.12.213.139] protocol pop3

but that doesn't work, either.  I also tried using the "-n" flag, and
that didn't make a difference.

You don't state your fetchmail version. Try 5.9.11.

Oops, it's 5.9.0+IMAP-GSS+SSL+INET6+NLS (according to fetchmail -V),
from the RedHat 7.2 RPM fetchmail-5.9.0-1.

If that does not help, try:
poll actual.host.name via 216.12.213.139

That didn't help, although it seems like it should have.

If that does not get you where you want, try adding these lines to the
bottom of your .fetchmailrc:

# try to force fetchmail to canonicalize its bounce sender host name
skip some.host with proto ETRN no dns

That didn't help either, although I'm not sure what it was supposed to
do...

Here's my .fetchmailrc right now:

    poll suspectclass.com via 216.12.213.139 protocol pop3
      no dns,
      no envelope,
      user sgifford there is swgsh here
      fetchall

    skip suspectclass.com with proto ETRN no dns

The behavior is still exactly the same.

I'll try getting 5.9.11 and see if it helps.

[...]

My hosting provider's DNS is a little flakey these last few days,
and I'd like to use the IP address until things get a bit more
stable.

Try dnscache, http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html, that's solid.

<sigh> Ah, to have my own domain hosted on my own tinydns, instead of
depending on a hosting provider to do it, and to read my mail on my
own machine with my own dnscache running...But those days are past.
:-)

Thanks for your assistance,

----ScottG.