Re: [fetchmail]Re: fetchmail SIGPIPE error with unescaped ^\.$

2002-06-07 09:35:50
Byrial Jensen <byrial(_at_)image(_dot_)dk> writes:

Hello,

Please always call the gettext() function when handling text which
is presented to the user, so the texts can be presented in the local
language. I.e. instead of

+    fputs("Fallback MDA: ", stdout);
+#ifdef FALLBACK_MDA
+    fputs(FALLBACK_MDA, stdout);
+#else
+    fputs("(none)", stdout);

please write

      fputs(GT_("Fallback MDA: "), stdout);
#ifdef FALLBACK_MDA
      fputs(FALLBACK_MDA, stdout);
else
      fputs(GT_("(none)"), stdout);

Hej Byrial,

while I agree localization is good for the user, this information is
aimed at remote debugging, and I'd rather not have that information in
Mandarin, Hungarian, Finnish or Japanese, to name some languages which
have certain importance but which are not related to any languages that
I speak.

The way it is now, you can always ask the user to retrieve and show the
full line that starts with "Fallback MDA", you can give him a ready-made
command (like show fetchmail -V | head -3 output)---all that starts to
fall apart if these strings are localized.

A viable workaround would be to add non-localized unique message codes,
to let fetchmail -V output look like this [German locale]:

I0001 Dies ist fetchmail Version 5.9.12-ma1+SSL+NLS
I0002 Fallback MDA: /usr/sbin/sendmail -i %T
I0003 Linux merlin 2.4.19-pre10-ac1 #5 Wed Jun 5 15:51:24 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

but this is utterly ugly.

Of course, the same message gets the same ID, so you'd have multiple

I0042   All available authentication methods will be tried.

with all the same I0042 tag.

The advantage of this is that you can still read log excerpts in a
foreign language without knowing that tongue.