Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail SIGPIPE error with unescaped ^\.$

2002-06-06 09:47:28
Neal McBurnett wrote:
 This probably means you have an mda option. Your MDA is croaking
 while being passed a message. Best fix is to remove the mda option
 and pass mail to your port 25 SMTP listener.

But sometimes that fix is not appropropriate (e.g. because I'm
avoiding a listener on port 25 for security or lack-of-permission
reasons).

Does Eric STILL think that it's appropriate for everyone's machine to
be listening on port 25??

A long time ago Eric removed the mda option, and I managed to persuade
him to put it back... but the reason that convinced him (something
about dialup SLIP users, as I recall) was not actually the best reason
I gave, and other reasons remain more important today.  (Actually
there's a paragraph in CatB that's a direct result of this argument I
had with him. :-)

I'd suggest adding:

For those times when using an mda is appropriate, if you're using
sendmail, the "-i" option to sendmail is important.

or something along those lines.  The reason to call out sendmail's
'-i' here is because it hasn't been noted in the fetchmail man page
advice until now, so it is a more frequent problem.

Yes, definitely add this...
--
==============================| "A slice of life isn't the whole cake
 Rob Funk <rfunk(_at_)funknet(_dot_)net> | One tooth will never make a full