Re: [fetchmail]fetchmail SIGPIPE error with unescaped ^\.$

2002-06-04 17:18:50
It seems that this is not a problem that can be solved by using a new
release.  It stems from bad invocations of sendmail from the user's
.fetchmailrc file, based on bad advice in the man page.

Thus, the only way to fix the problem is to advise affected users
to add a "-i" option to sendmail in their .fetchmailrc.

As noted in
   http://lists.ccil.org/pipermail/fetchmail-friends/2002-April/001973.html
I was still running across this problem in 5.9.11.  I sent in a
patch to the man page for it, but by mistake I sent it to
fetchmail-friends-admin rather than fetchmail-friends.

I see that the man page in 5.9.12 has the recommended change - thanks.

I suggest the addition of a prominant notice in the release notes,
since affected users have to do something besides just installing:

  If your .fetchmailrc file invokes sendmail, it should do
  so with the "-i" option.  Otherwise fetchmail can get stuck
  on messages that contain "." on a line by itself.
  The fetchmail man page has been updated to reflect this.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett <neal(_at_)bcn(_dot_)boulder(_dot_)co(_dot_)us>
http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
GPG/PGP signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  Keyid: 2C9EBA60