Re: [fetchmail]The 5.9.12 release of fetchmail is available

2002-06-07 11:27:31
Eric S Raymond <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> writes:

Nerijus Baliunas <nerijus(_at_)users(_dot_)sourceforge(_dot_)net>:
Why Scott Gifford's patch is not included (according to changelog)?
I also had a problem with addresses like
MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)216(_dot_)12(_dot_)213(_dot_)139(_dot_)

Which patch are you referring to?

Presumably the one in the attached message.

----ScottG.

--- Begin Message ---
Scott Gifford <sgifford(_at_)suspectclass(_dot_)com> writes:

I'm having trouble getting fetchmail to retreive this message:

[...]

It seems that fetchmail is rewriting the unqualified MAILER-DAEMON
envelope sender to MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)216(_dot_)12(_dot_)213(_dot_)139(_dot_)
 Since that's not the
correct syntax for saying a user is at an IP address (the address
should be in square-brackets), my local mail server assumes that this
is a domain name, tries to look it up, fails, and rejects the message.

I've written a patch (against 5.9.11) which fixes this.  It puts the
server's name in square brackets when using it in the MAIL FROM
command if it looks like an IP address in dotted-quad format.  It's
mostly tested, although my hosting provider recently stopped accepting
mail with an unqualified envelope sender, so the testing wasn't
perfect.

It's fairly short, so I've attached it to this message.  Please
followup here or email me if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks,

----ScottG.

--- End Message ---