Re: [fetchmail]bounced mails....

2002-06-11 03:58:37
From: Michael Agbaglo <byteshifter(_at_)shifted-bytes(_dot_)de>

thanks for your hints regarding the change management :-)

Hey any time :-)

I reverted to 5.9.0 before I posted here, but that didn't help...
Last night I decided to log fetchmails activity, maybe this helps for more precise suggestions... ?

Why does fetchmail send a mail to me ?

<---SNIP--->
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<localhosts1(_at_)localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 550 5.1.1 <localhosts1(_at_)localhost>... User unknown
fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `localhosts1(_at_)localhost'

Ok, looks like there is no account or alias for "localhosts1".

<---SNIP--->
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<aussggm(_at_)epost(_dot_)de>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.1.5 <aussggm(_at_)epost(_dot_)de>... Recipient ok

So, looks like your mail server supports the domain "epost.de" and that aussggm is either an account or alias.

<---SNIP--->
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<byteshifter(_at_)localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.1.5 <byteshifter(_at_)localhost>... Recipient ok
fetchmail: no address matches; forwarding to byteshifter.

So, probably your mail server doesn't support the domain "localhost". Maybe add that to /etc/mail/local-host-names or add "set smtpaddress <domain>" to .fetchmailrc where <domain> is a domain your mail server supports.

As for why it forwards to byteshifter, you've got it set to forward all misaddressed email:

bash-2.05a$ fetchmail --version
This is fetchmail release 5.9.6+SSL+INET6
OpenBSD avocado 3.1 GENERIC#59 i386
Taking options from command line and /home/byteshifter/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /home/byteshifter/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to byteshifter.

   Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
       me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.
--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: