Re: [fetchmail] How to get started

2002-08-01 04:01:23
PLEASE READ THE SODDING .SIG!!!

My reply-to address is mangled to ensure you keep list related traffic on the list and don't bother me directly. I don't do that for fun.

From: traut(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de

I did - but I understood not enough about the operation of E-Mail. I
expected that Mail would be downloaded to $MAIL, /mailbox/$USER or
something like that. Instead it's pushed back to the server.

Yup, fetchmail is basically a mail transfer agent. Unless you configure it otherwise it just passes email to another SMTP server.

However, you *can* configure it to use your chosen local delivery agent.

Oh, bad thing - I'll have to put it to some other IMAP box back then
again.

Hardly a problem given how easy the University of Washington IMAP/POP package is to install.

I expected procmail to offer the best filter by configuration, while the
man pages named some fetchmail built-in spam filtering.

Nope, the man page tells you that you can configure fetchmail to recognise certain SMTP errors as indicating spam and to just trash the message in question.

PS: is it standard on this list to use that strange E-Mail addresses? Is
this an American way to avoid spam?

Don't make assumptions like that.  I'm *not* American :-)

Here in Germany we encourage usable
Reply-To addresses and valid From in usenet postings, while using
I-have-to-edit-this-by-hand addresses are considered as user unfriendly.

IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE USER UNFRIENDLY!!!!!!! The whole point is to encourage you to keep list traffic on the list. To quote from my sig:

   Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
       me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.

   Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above :)

Maybe I need to edit the mangling to stop people sending me email.

Sorry, I'd need a walkthrough of telnet commands for that task.

telnet mailserver 25

Then post the header line from the mail server.

While reading mail from the server with mutt and comparing previous
results, stripped is e.g.
That may be Mutt doing it, any mail server that does that is probably breaking more RFCs than I can count.

That's for running it as a background task?

Yup.

--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: