Re: [fetchmail] How to get started

2002-08-01 09:37:50
----- Forwarded message, not sent to the list before -----

On Thu 2002-08-01 (12:02), Rob MacGregor wrote:
From: Martin Trautmann <traut(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>

may I ask for some newbie help: How do I get started with fetchmail?

The man page is always a good start :-)

Hi Rob!

I did - but I understood not enough about the operation of E-Mail. I
expected that Mail would be downloaded to $MAIL, /mailbox/$USER or
something like that. Instead it's pushed back to the server.

I guess I've to start procmail in order to pull data out. I don't have any
clue yet why pulling the data from the IMAP server does push it there
again. All I found in the current seutp was MAIL=/mailhome/trautman/trautman

My initial problem was that the IMAP exchange server started to strip
headerlines from messages.

Header line from a "telnet <server> 143" and sample stripped message?

Sorry, I'd need a walkthrough of telnet commands for that task.
While reading mail from the server with mutt and comparing previous
results, stripped is e.g.
Passed is e.g.
From: To: Date: Message-ID: Subject:
But how do I start this thing?

RTFM.  Hint there's a daemon option.

That's for running it as a background task?

What I want to do first:
- get some mail, identified by Receiver or header lines, to
  local mailboxes (such as $HOME/Mail/In)

Multidrop boxes?  Take a look at the multidrop section of the man page.

ok,

- leave some mail, identified by Sender, on the IMAP server,
  maybe sorting it to other boxes, since Outlook is far from
  perfect for this task.

You can't.  It's pull everything or nothing.

Oh, bad thing - I'll have to put it to some other IMAP box back then
again.

- identify some spam (using procmail) and sort some out

That's down to procmail (or whatever) and has nothing to do with
fetchmail.

I expected procmail to offer the best filter by configuration, while the
man pages named some fetchmail built-in spam filtering.

Thanks for your comments,
Martin

----- End forwarded message -----