Re: [fetchmail] Clear text password

2002-09-02 10:13:52
From: "Peter Kaagman" <bilbo(_at_)nedlinux(_dot_)nl>

Hi there

To start off... I did find the section in the FAQ about this. But
it either does not apply to or (and this is likely) I don't
understand what it says. I wich case I appoligize.....

For another problem I installed ethereal and found out that my
password and account name is send in clear text to a IMAP server.
When I use the mozilla client I do not see the password.

Perfectly normal and expected.  Most traditional unix services pass
passwords in clear down the network.

The most you can do is switch to a provider that supports SSL or something
other than plain text authentication.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

It's clear that some (old) unix services communicate passwords in clear
tekst..... but that leaves me with 2 questions:

- Why doesn't the mozilla client show tha password, it's talking IMAP and
POP3 as well
- What is that section in the FAQ about fetchmail being able to encrypt
the password

Leads me to believe that
- IMAP and POP3 are verry well capeable to encrypt
the password (and the username, that didn't show up either in the mozilla
communication).
- In fact the servers I use are capeable in doing this.

Or am I mislead  in my thinking?