Re: [fetchmail] Clear text password

2002-09-02 10:40:03
From: Peter Kaagman <bilbo(_at_)nedlinux(_dot_)nl>

It's clear that some (old) unix services communicate passwords in clear
tekst..... but that leaves me with 2 questions:

- Why doesn't the mozilla client show tha password, it's talking IMAP and
POP3 as well

Most clients mask passwords.  However if you sniff the traffic you'll
discover it's still being passed in the clear.

- What is that section in the FAQ about fetchmail being able to encrypt
the password

Assuming you mean G10, it's talking about the fact that fetchmail supports a
number of authentication methods that don't pass the password in clear.

Leads me to believe that
- IMAP and POP3 are verry well capeable to encrypt
the password (and the username, that didn't show up either in the mozilla
communication).

IMAP and POP3 are just protocols.  It's down to the servers to dictate the
authentication methods.

- In fact the servers I use are capeable in doing this.

Or am I mislead  in my thinking?

I'm afraid so, it's just the way the client appears to behave.  If you dig
deeply enough you'll find the password in one of Mozilla's configuration
files.  There's probably programs out on the net to display them for you.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?