Re: [fetchmail] SIGPIPE on an extraordinarily big e-mail

2002-10-25 09:38:34
From: "Peter Grace" <pgrace(_at_)rttx(_dot_)com>

Hello friends,

        I've been using fetchmail in a very basic way for many years.  I've
come across a problem, though, that I can't seem to solve.  I have a
user on my box who has an e-mail on a remote site queue, that's
40087149 octets (Yeah, that's right, 40,087,149 octets).  I don't
know how this e-mail even managed to pass through the remote sender's
local server, or even get to the remote site queue without being
bounced!

        My problem is, fetchmail SIGPIPE's on the e-mail.  Attached is the
user's .fetchmailrc and the log from the command 'fetchmail -v -l 0'.
 As I look into this problem more, I'm starting to wonder wether or
not it's a problem with fetchmail at all.  However, exim reports no
errors!

I've also noticed that the problem happens after the second e-mail in
the inbox is gotten.  What makes this weird is that the first e-mail
is never received, which makes me think that this big e-mail is the
culprit.

Ok, the logs say you're running 6.1.1, but on what OS?

I've certainly downloaded 20 MB+ emails using fetchmail so I'd be surprised if that's the problem. However anybody emailing stuff that large should IMO be using some other method of file transfer!

fetchmail: SIGPIPE thrown from an MDA or a stream socket error

Take a look at the log from your mail server, it looks like something downstream (your mail server of the delivery agent) had problems.

 Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
      Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp