Re: [fetchmail] Deleting after N days (IMAP)

2003-03-23 23:55:36
On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 07:37:15PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Thomas Guettler <guettli(_at_)thomas-guettler(_dot_)de>:
When emails get fetched from the server, fetchmails writes time, UID,
server, username, mailbox in one line into a logfile
(e.g. mailcleaner.log). This needs a modification of the source of
fetchmail. This logging should only be done if it is enabled by the
user.

A second programm reads mailcleaner.log and fetchmailrc and deletes
messages which where fetched more than N days ago.

Before doing any coding I want to know what you think about it. It
think the changes to fetchmail will be very small and would not affect
other fetchmail users.

Repeat after me:

Fetchmail is a transport layer, not an interactive client.

I don't want fetchmail to be an interactive client. I only want to log
one special line for each mail. Deleting the mail would be done with
pop/imapclean. That has nothing to do with content-based
filtering. Fetchmail should deliver mail like it always has.

 thomas

--
Thomas Guettler <guettli(_at_)thomas-guettler(_dot_)de>
http://www.thomas-guettler.de