Re: [fetchmail] Multidrop Bounce

2003-03-24 04:11:24
Hi,

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Ben Clewett wrote:

I really need email to bounce, as I am in competition with some MS
products with do bounce.  (Probably when they should not, but hay...)
I'm looking at the code to see if I can easily hack it, and wonder if
anybody could give me some advice...  (Sorry about English, I is very
dyslexic)

Did you look at bSMTP? In 'professional' setups fetchmail may not always
be what you want. When MS products are in the competition there should be
no problems with money, so having the mail delivered through bSMTP instead
of one 'cheap' pop-box shouldn't be a problem. If you run your own SMTP
server, it can generate the bounces for you.

Having your SMTP listener do the bounces does however not _require_
bSMTP. You can also have fetchmail forward everything to your local SMTP
listener and configure that listener to accept everything and send out
bounce mails for undeliverable adresses. (That is: do not send 550
This does require some tweaks in your SMTP listener configuration, but it
is not impossible. Depending on the mailer, it may even be quite simple.

Regards,
  Maarten.