Re: [fetchmail] Deleting after N days (IMAP)

2003-03-26 14:41:58
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> writes:

Thomas Guettler <guettli(_at_)thomas-guettler(_dot_)de>:
When emails get fetched from the server, fetchmails writes time, UID,
server, username, mailbox in one line into a logfile
(e.g. mailcleaner.log). This needs a modification of the source of
fetchmail. This logging should only be done if it is enabled by the
user.

A second programm reads mailcleaner.log and fetchmailrc and deletes
messages which where fetched more than N days ago.

Before doing any coding I want to know what you think about it. It
think the changes to fetchmail will be very small and would not affect
other fetchmail users.

Repeat after me:

Fetchmail is a transport layer, not an interactive client.

In other words, *no*.  I will not accept such patches.  They would
inevitably followed by more patches for content-based filtering and
all kinds of other crap.  That is not what fetchmail is for.

I beg to differ. fetchmail already is emulating interactive client
behaviour, after all, it supports retrieval from IMAP servers. :-)

Seriously, Jan has a valid point in his argumentation. If you
reformulate "keep" to "keep always" or "delete never" and "no keep" to
"keep never" or "delete immediately", then "delete 2 days after
retrieval" is just fine. (getmail also does it, but getmail doesn't talk
SSL natively or IMAP).