[fetchmail] Re: multi-drop

2003-04-21 04:33:22
Mike writes:
Hi,

The problem is the following:
FreeBSD 4.5, Sendmail in default installation.
Fetchmail 6.2.2 I'm trying to make a multidrop.
I have a "mymail.com" domain for example and all of the mail like
@mymail.com is transfering to multi(_at_)mail(_dot_)com A conf file for fetchmail:
poll mail.com proto pop3
user multi pass "secret" to * here
Then i'm sending a test message to user(_at_)mymail(_dot_)com which is
transfering to multi(_at_)mail(_dot_)com mailbox successfully.
I've created an account on my local box with name "user".
But the message is sending to root with the following error
"recipient address user(_at_)mymail(_dot_)com didn't match any local name" What can you say about it ?
Multidrop is not easy - but it is well covered in the FAQ and the documentation for fetchmail. The key point is that by combining all messages for a domain into a single mailbox, you are at serious risk of throwing away information that might be needed in order to deliver messages to the right people - the so-called envelope. Most ISP's, knowing that the envelope information is useful (without it, there is no way that Bcc: recipients can get messages, for example), make an attempt to save the information somewhere in the email, but there is no single standard way of doing it. Some add a custom header to the messages. Some add the information to one of the Recieved: header lines - though it isn't necessarily obvious which one. First, look in the FAQ. It is possible that your problem is covered there. If that doesn't help, and you can't work out what you need from the rest of the documentation, then post the real headers from one of your multidrop messages and maybe someone will be able to work out what your ISP is doing.
Additionally, "fetchmail -v -v" (yes, -v is repeated) is your friend!
--
Bill Michell
bill(_at_)mics(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk