[fetchmail] Re: Newbie multiple e-mail destinations

2003-05-13 20:16:51
On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 21:17, SoloCDM wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Rick DeNatale wrote:

Sorry since this is probably a very newbie question, but I just can't
seem to figure out what's going on.

I've been using fetchmail and spamassassin on my fairly new linux box.
I'm running fetchmail 6.2.0 on RH Linux 9. It's been working well for
me.

My wife now wants to filter her mail through the linux box. So I did the
following:/home/rick

1) I put .fetchmailrc into /etc/fetchmail here is the contents (with
passwords obliterated:
/home/rick
set daemon 600
set postmaster "rick"
set bouncemail

defaultsfw-skip=I.P. Address*colspan="2">

smtpaddress "mail.denhaven2.house"

Does mail.denhaven2.house exist?  If not, don't use this.

It's an alias, but I've tried with both this and the real name and the
same thing happens.

poll pop.vnet.net proto pop3
   user "denatale(_at_)ctc(_dot_)net" with password "xxxx" is user rick
here
   user "ddenatale(_at_)ctc(_dot_)net" with password "yyyy" is user
deborah here

Remove "user" after is.  Put "with" before "proto".  I use "smtpname
<user(_at_)address>" instead of "deborah" for email account, but it is your
choice.  In this case "deborah" should be changed to "rick".

Why would I want to change "deborah" to rick. I WANT to have her email
sent to her spool file, not mine.

====== end of file  ====/home/rick
This is identical to the original .fetchmailrc which was in my home
directory
except for the addition of the last line.

Then same thing applies.

I'm not sure I understand this.

2) I ran fetchmail -f /etc/fetch/.fetchmailrc as root. I also appended
this command to /etc/rc.local so that fetchmail will run automatically
if I need to re-boot.

Personally, I prefer to have ~/.fetchmailrc in a chosen user
directory.  In the user directory execute "fetchmail <whatever
options>" if necessary.  -B will allow you to control amount ofunix
messages downloading.

The problem is that she will probably never actually log in to the linux
machine. The intent is to let her get her mail from the linux machine
from a Windoze laptop using either pop or imap.

Do you have the connection to the ISP before the /etc/rc.local
activated.  If not, this won't work.

Yes. The entire lan is behind a dsl router/firewall.

HTH.