Re: [fetchmail] Retrieval Error - incorrect header line

2003-07-06 15:20:56
On Jul 06, at 02:31 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

The problem is that there are only certain headers defined by RFC822
be legal in the header of an email. After the header appears a single
blank line as a delimiter between the header and the body. If illegal
lines are found it the header before the blank line, fetchmail
normally
will not retrieve the email. According to the programmers, to code
fetchmail to actually retrieve such mail would be cumbersome and
error-prone.

On the surface, this doesn't sound right. Any number of MDAs/MTAs add
"X-" headers, for instance, and fetchmail doesn't seem to have a problem
with those I've seen (I've set up my MTA to add "X-Spam-Policy: ...", and
fetchmail doesn't have a problem with it).

I don't recall what the original problem was in this thread, but if
fetchmail is indeed choking on a line in a header, p'raps it's trying
too hard?

OTOH, if a line in the header isn't formatted according to the RFCs, or
if that "blank line" is not present, then RFCs are being broken, and all
bets are off.

So let me get this staight.  Microslow Orifice's Outlook 2000 or XP, or
Outlook Express, or ANY OTHER POP3 CLIENT I'VE USED has no problems
retrieving these badly formatted messages - but
fetchmail/sendmail/postfix has a problem?

If this thread is about the Received: header that, IIRC, had whitespace
stripped out, I'd have to wonder if what was reported was the "raw" line
in the message, or was it formatted (mangled?) by fetchmail. If the former,
then yes, sendmail (and pro'lly fetchmail) will consider it gibberish. If
the latter, you're laboring under false evidence.

<editorial>
Note also that M$ products have gained, rightfully so, a reputation for
bending or breaking RFCs to suit their own agenda.
</editorial>

I thought I was moving to Linux to make things EASIER.

<editorial>
Unix and Linux rarely make things easier than Windoze(tm). What Unix and
Linux does is empower the user and admin to do what they please, without
the constraints generally present in M$ products.
</editorial>

Daniel

Pardon me for interrupting,
Dave